Losing a loved one is a traumatic experience which can bring intense feelings of sadness, depression, and loneliness. Seeking support from others who are going through a similar situation can be a helpful way to deal with such feelings and start the healing process. Below is a list of some resources that may be of assistance to you (links will open in new window). If you find yourself unable to function after the loss of a loved one and have feelings of ending your own life, please seek the help of a licensed medical professional.
- GriefNet - The internet's largest online community dealing with loss. Be it the loss of a spouse, a child, a parent, or other loved one, this site offers an area where you can find others the share your feelings with and help you with the challenge of moving on.
- EriChad Grief Support - Site created for parents who are grieving the loss of a child.
- Bereaved Parents USA - Wonderful online community offering support to parents, grandparents, and siblings who have recently lost a family member.
- The Compassionate Friends - Support for parents who have lost a child. This organization offers online support, as well as maintaining local chapters for community support.
- Center for Grief Recovery - Organization located in the Chicago which focuses on grief counseling and support. There are listings of events and services which are located in the Chicago area to help individuals who are struggling with the loss of a loved one.
- Grief Library - This page sponsored by the Illinois Funeral Directors Association offers numerous articles and links with information and advice on how to grieve, how to ask for help, and how to start the process of moving on.
- Grief Support Groups Serving Illinois - A printable PDF courtesy of the Alzheimer Institute providing contact information for numerous grief groups in the Chicago/Illinois area.
- C.A.R.E. Pet Loss Hotline - University of Illinois College of Veterinary Medicine's center to help those who are mourning the loss of a pet. Loss of a loved one in a tragedy may also include the loss of pets. This page will give you information specifically on dealing with the loss of a pet, which may be particularly difficult for children.
- Bereavement Support - Page maintained by "The Family Village" at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Features numerous additional links to sites dealing with grief support.